3 Minutes to read
Ludovic Huraux, CEO at Shapr
Learning Inspiration 🌈 #16
Today, we are delighted to welcome Ludovic Huraux. Ludovic founded Attractive World in 2007, the leader of French dating apps, and sold to Spark Networks in 2016. In 2015, Ludovic founded Shapr, a professional networking mobile app. Shapr is democratizing how we meet others and expand our professional networks in a meaningful way. This interview will highlight why Ludovic is passionate about meeting people and why meetings are his primary source of learning.
Who is your biggest source of inspiration?
My biggest source of inspiration is definitely Eva Haller. Eva is a woman I met on a flight in 2012 on my first Paris-New York return trip to Attractive World (my first startup). I found myself sitting next to this eighty-two-year-old woman named Eva, and she told me her whole story. Eva is a Hungarian woman who has been in concentration camps during World War II. One day, she escaped and fled to the United States, where she became a housekeeper. A few years later, she started a telemarketing company, one of the United States’ biggest. Sadly, at forty-two, her husband died. Eva decided to sell her company to her employees and donate all of her profits to NGOs. I am a huge fan.
At the end of the flight, we exchanged our contact details. A week after we met, Eva sent me a message that she was coming to Paris. Once she arrived, we went to dinner together and stayed in touch for the following two years. Later, when I sold Attractive World, I decided to go to the US to start a new company. I reached out to Eva to share my plans, and she asked me to come and stay with her in New York for a month. It was an incredible experience. Eva introduced me to VCs, business people, and other interesting New Yorkers. I am infinitely grateful to Eva.
What I find extraordinary about her is her curiosity and ability to learn. She surrounds herself with people thirty years younger than her and feeds on their passion and creativity. And above all, she is open-minded, which allows her to always be at the forefront of innovation.
How do you keep learning on a daily basis?
– Meeting new people: So far, the best way for me to learn has been people. I like to meet people from different backgrounds and without business objectives. One of my favorite learning routines (pre-Covid) was to try to set-up one date a day with someone I didn’t know, a lunch, or a coffee.
– Reading: Right now, I’m trying to wake up earlier to read because I don’t have time during the day.
– Documentaries: on Arte (a French TV channel) and Netflix
What are your favorite books 📚?
In general, I read love books that are about the brain and also autobiographies.
– The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle is a superb personal development book that teaches about focusing on the present. We often have a little voice in our heads talking about the future or past that distracts us from the here and now. Without consciousness, we do not realize how often we are thinking, our minds adrift. Therefore we tend to be less connected to others because we are too wrapped up in our thoughts and not actively engaged. Personally, this book has helped me a good amount in my life, especially in dealing with my emotions. I get anxious and worried, especially before I speak publicly or take exams.
Other great books:
– The Human Bug: Science of the Brain 🇫🇷. by Sebastien Bohler
– For a Happy Childhood 🇫🇷 by Catherine Gueguen that I recommend to help you raise your children.
– Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance
– Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
– Rafa by Raphael Nadal
What is your favorite podcast 🎧?
If you were to stay alone on an island and would only be allowed to bring one item, what would it be?
A phone. Even though I think phones are absolutely a real drug. There are quite a few things you can do to get out of this addiction. However, I think I will still need some interaction with the outside world. It all depends on how long I must stay on this deserted island. If I am there less than a week, I would bring a ball. But if not, if it’s a year, then I’ll take a phone.
Would you like us to interview someone in particular? Let us know who inspires you at firstname.lastname@example.org 💌
Leave your email address to receive Clind's updates 💖